Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Extracted Truth

I was in the bathroom at work the other day brushing my teeth. I never wanted to be “that one.” You know the one who keeps the toothbrush in her desk and is in the bathroom after lunch uncouthly spitting toothpaste into the pricey marble sink? But there I was upon dentist’s orders to brush my teeth after “every single meal!”

I was given this directive (along with a lengthy laundry list of others) in order to avoid further irritating a riled up nerve in my mouth that is threatening to abscess. So there I was, leaning over the marble sink, the eyes of six-figure-salary manager looking on in disgust as I spit lather from my mouth like a commoner. “Why am I doing this?” I thought, wishing she would go away.

Why? Easy answer -- pain. Lectures from my dentist, common sense, memories of past root canals, and pricey dental bills all failed to force me into that bathroom to brush my teeth in front of my peers previously. A throbbing tooth provided me all the motivation that I needed. I realized that God often has to deal with us this way. We know we should not do something, but we suppress our common sense, warnings from others, and past consequences and continue in our sin. How often does our behavior go on unchanged until the pain of abscessing sin exposes the raw nerve in our heart? “That hurts!” we say, and the behavior is altered.

Thinking the little analogy would go no further, I was surprised that same night, over dinner that the metaphor took on even more depth. The dentist had also instructed me to “baby” the left side of my mouth. I had made a pizza that night and after the first bite, I realized it was baked perfectly -- just like I liked it. It tasted SO good! But after a few bites, I realized that I was very frustrated. In trying to keep all the food off my abscessing tooth, the food was not really hitting my taste buds. My nose smelled the food, a taste bud here or there was catching a little taste…but because I was not fully rolling it over all of my mouth, I was not satisfied.

I realized again how much that is like our spiritual walk. We try to live these compartmentalized lives. We push our spiritual stuff into the corner just under the tongue – enough for survival and brief moments of taste, but far enough away from our sin so as to not remind us that area of our heart is rotting.

We say we want to taste Jesus – but we don’t really want to take a huge bite and roll him all over our tongue. Because when the conviction of the Spirit hits that raw nerve that is painful! So we avoid the pain (or so we think) by “babying” our sin, and not letting Jesus touch that part of our heart. So while we have just enough of Jesus to keep our sustenance going, we do not have enough of him to say, “I have never tasted anything so sweet! I want more!”

This tooth is driving me crazy. It hurts. But now, each time I become aware of its throbbing, instead of complaining, I find myself marveling in the fact that God loves me so much, he can take something as simple as a toothache and use it as a means to point me to his glory. If we could train ourselves to see more of him in every little detail – we would be praising him all day long!

4 Comments:

Blogger Caryn said...

How funny...God did a similar thing for me! He used a tooth lesson to point me to His glory! Below is a link to my blog post about it. http://carynsthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/01/cavities-cross.html

2:09 PM  
Blogger MoeB said...

Vicki!!!

So you've been hiding within the confines of this blog while I have been searching all over creation looking for you. How dare you!!! There are memories of people, even brief ones, that rise above the others and for me that was of the kindness you, your dad and mom showed me back when. What have you been up to? I would also appreciate the URL to the blog your mom placed online. The one where she speaks of God invading her life with some little package that would forever change things. You know the one.
Do email me back. Please.

In Christ,
Moe

moebergeron [at] gmail [dot] com

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not see an e-mail address for you on your blog, but would love to "chat" with you. I read about you in a book I am reviewing, If God is Good by Randy Alcorn. I have a daughter who just turned 13 - her name is Jessica Joy and her name fits her too! You can read more about her here - her most recent miracle: http://writingcanvas.wordpress.com/jessicas-joys-open-heart-surgery-miracle/

She also has spinal neck defects, and will eventually need surgery, where she will no longer be able to move her head. Her neck looks longer on once side than the other - she hates pics of herself. But like you, she loves Jesus. She turned 13 on Saturday and was baptized on Sunday! PTL!

I just felt a connection to you and your story . . . your giving God the glory. I am glad to have "met" you.

Loni

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DISCOVERY HEALTH CHANNEL

CASTING



Discovery Health, a division of the Discovery Channel is
producing a new program which is currently being cast. We are seeking people in the Tri State area whose lives have been seriously affected by a facial injury or disfigurement, which they are Unable to have repaired. Selected individuals will work with a prominent NYC based reconstructive surgeon to aid address the injury and perform corrective surgery in order to restart their lives. For further info please send your name, phone number, email contact and a photo of yourself along with a paragraph about your story, details of the injury and how it has impeded your life.


Send all the information to
Mwollcasting@gmail.com.
This is a time sensitive casting please
send all information by May 28, 2010. We will contact you ASAP.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home