Sunday, January 23, 2005

God Keeps His Promises

Here is an article written by my dear friend, Krista. I am posting it in hopes that it will encourage you. I hope that she writes more articles soon!

My name is Krista Horning and I am fifteen years old. I have Apert Syndrome which is a genetic birth defect. People with Apert Syndrome all have fused skull bones, a sunken midface, and fused fingers and toes. We know 10 other people in Minnesota with Apert Syndrome. We all look a lot alike, but we also have differences. Some have trouble learning, some have hydrocephalus, and some have eye or ear problems. I was born with no airway through my nose, and fused shoulders and elbows.

After I was born, one doctor told my parents that I would never be normal (my eyes would stick out like a frog’s) and that they would probably get divorced. Fifteen years later, I don’t look like a frog and my parents aren’t divorced. Sometimes my life has been hard, but God has been good to us since the day I was born.

I have had over 50 surgeries. Most of them have been on my skull, arms, and hands. When I was 4 months old, a doctor took my skull apart and put it back together a different way. Making an airway in my nose was really hard, but I can breathe a lot better than I used to. Last summer we tried a rare surgery to make an elbow in my stiff arms, but it failed.
I get pretty nervous before surgery. I don’t like being put to sleep and I know it will hurt when I wake up. Before surgery, my parents and I read through lots of Bible verses we’ve memorized, where God promises He will be with me where ever I go. That helps me not be so afraid. God even does some things to make me laugh and let me know how much He loves me. One time I had surgery at a new hospital and I was extra nervous. I love pigs, and that day they showed up everywhere. There was a pig show on TV, I got a pig shirt, and a live pig even walked into my room!


Since I don’t have elbow or shoulder joints, I can’t do many things by myself. My mom and dad have to help me take care of myself. Sometimes I fall and have gotten hurt really bad. I’d like to be able to bake cookies and pick up little babies. We’re trying to find ways to make that happen.

The thing that hurts me the most is that everywhere I go, people stare and point at me because my hands and face look different. I’ve had to pray and memorize verses like I Sam. 16:7, “People look at the outside of a person, but the Lord looks at the heart.” I know my family always loves me, and the friends I do have are very special.

I like to draw, write, and make needlepoint bookmarks. That takes a lot of work since my fingers are stiff. I also really like babysitting kids in the nursery at church. I feel comfortable there because I am accepted and valuable to them. My favorite thing is when a little toddler sits in my lap and lets me read a book. Some day I’d like to work in the Children’s Ministry at my church. The people there have encouraged me a lot.

Even though my life has been difficult, I know that God loves me and created me just the way I am. He has taught me to persevere and to trust Him more than anything. Ever since I was born, a lot of people have prayed for me. That has changed my life and the lives of people around me. My favorite verse is Jeremiah 29:11. “For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” I have known this verse since I was a little child. I say it to myself and know that God keeps His promises.

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

Veejay,
Thank you so much for including this wonderful article by Krista.

Krista,
I am thanking God for the maturity you display here. You are an inspiration to me.

God has given you amazing courage, that you should be able to undergo 50 surgeries! It is not surprising that you are nervous--even really scared--before surgery. You know better than almost every person in the world how difficult surgery can be. That's what real courage is--not that you're not afraid. But that you KNOW how frightening the prospect is, and yet you trust God's promises and go ahead.

You have a great God, and he shows himself through you.

Thank you for letting Veejay share your article with us.

Noel

9:31 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

I could post this anywhere on the blog, but I'll do it here because it mentions Krista. I got this email today from a friend who had just discovered VeeJay's blog. I say AMEN.

What an important education, enlightenment, and beautiful inspiration! I have a busy schedule today, but just made the time to keep reading the "blog" because of how the Holy Spirit guided me to tarry! I found such comforting and inspiring insight from quotes from John Piper and Krista (isn't she just the most precious young woman?) and other gems including Veejay's powerfully positive approach to the way God has wonderfully made her. It helps me to check my own attitude toward my own daughter's challenges in a new and refreshing way! When life feels especially difficult through my daughter's circumstances, in addition to visiting with the Lord, I'll visit VeeJay's blog!"

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Krista,

I am so Grateful to meet you at Joni and Friends Camp.

you are so happy all the time.

God has done so much to you and your family.

now you have a Job that you said that you might never have one now you do that is Great.

your Birthday is Monday and you are 21 that is Great to see you all grow up

Happy Birthday To you Krista

God Love you all the Time

love Your Best Friend Jenny Olexa thank for being my Friend at Joni and Friend and I am Glad we are still friend I had so much fun at you house I hope I can do that some time.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your testimony, Krista, is such an encouragement. Thank you for having such a desire and a passion to the love the Lord. You are beautiful. Stay strong in Him.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home