Sunday, January 23, 2005

Broken Hearts

Psalm 34:18, "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

This verse has gotten me through many lonely nights and seasons of hopelessness. I always thought the verse simply meant that the Lord is sympathetic to our sorrows. He certainly is, but I got a deeper glimpse into the verse when, several months ago, my pastor quoted the verse during the Sunday morning announcements. He went on to to assume that in a congregation our size there was, no doubt, many hurting people among us that morning. And then he said a very odd thing. Addressing the brokenhearted in the crowd, he thanked them all for coming, saying, "Since the Lord has drawn near to you, your very presence has drawn us all into his presence."

Sorrow is indeed a very real, painful, heavy burden. But the Lord has promised to bear those burdens for us. "Come to me all you who are heavy-laden and I will give you rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Let Him carry your load, and marvel at the fact that the dark cloaks we wear are not burdens, but coverings to protect us from the blinding glory of a Savior who dwells within us when we weep.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home