Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Mom's Story - Final Chapter

A special word of thanks to my mom for laboring over the writing of this story for many weeks. I pray that her work will not be in vain but that people who read her story will be encouraged to put their hope in a faithful, loving, soveriegn Great Physician. To God be the glory!


Click here to read Part One
Click here to read Part Two
Click here to read Part Three
Click here to read Part Four
Click here to read Part Five
Click here to read Part Six
Click here to read Part Seven
Click here to read Part Eight


Final Installment:

As the years have passed, new questions have filled my mind. When Vicki was first born, my questions had been: “Why is this happening to my family?” “Is this a punishment for bad things my husband or I have done?” “Or is this simply an unfortunate accident of nature?” As I searched the Bible, I found answers [see Part 4 of this blog story]. I became convinced that God is sovereign; He is in control of all things.

The belief that God is sovereign is more than understanding that God is in control of all things. It is an understanding that God does more than react to bad situations, turning what was meant for evil into what is good. God does not react; He acts.

It goes against our grain to equate anything bad with God. We feel the need to protect His image and make Him look good. But God doesn’t need us to guard His reputation. What He desires is that we trust Him, even when it looks as though His reputation will suffer. God is God. He doesn’t need our help. He wants our trust.

God knits each one of us in our mother’s womb. When a baby is born with disabilities, do we conclude that God made a mistake? If He does indeed knit us together in our mother’s womb, then we must conclude that He knits us in exactly the way He desires. He makes no mistakes.

But this is not bad news! In fact, it is very good news. God is sovereign. He is in charge of all things. He makes no mistakes. When a baby is born with a disability, it is God’s perfect plan!

This understanding led me to ask more questions. “If this is God’s plan for our family, how does He want us to respond?” I found my answer in James 1:2-4, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

My next question was, “Could I find peace and contentment in this situation?” The Bible told me, in Philippians 4:11-13, “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”

I embraced these verses and found comfort and strength in them. But after awhile, new questions begged to be answered. “Was it possible to go beyond peace and contentment and actually feel joy in our situation?” Life with disabilities is a journey. The difficulties often cannot be remedied, and we must learn to live with them. Can we learn to live with them and actually be joyful in them? 1 Peter 4:12-13 says, “Do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed.”

This led me to ask, “Is there joy beyond the pain, or is there actually joy in the pain?” Romans 5:3-5, “We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.”

I believe that God chose this sorrow for our family. And surprisingly, what I at first felt was a sorrow, I see now as a joy. In all sincerity, if given such a chance, I would not change the journey our family has traveled. We have all learned, we have all grown, and we love the Lord and His sovereign direction in our lives.

When our daughter was born, we gave her the name Vicki Joy. The name was a deliberate choice. We wanted her to one day live out the attributes that her name implies. We wanted her to be “victorious,” and we wanted her to be “joyful.” In every way Vicki Joy lives up to her name.

I will praise the Lord who continually showers us with good things, with blessings everlasting. “The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him; His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness” (Lamentations 3:25, 22-23).

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Daddy, Manf and Bean said...

Vicki,
Hi from Boston. I just missed your call, thought to send you an e and found your blog. what a great tool.
my home e is: dancyn11@hotmail.com
my wife's name is Cyndie and her blog is linked on mine:
www.p66.blogspot.com
Project 66 is about the 66 books of the Bible.
hey, my neighbor just gave me a CD of 70 sermons by Dr. Piper on Rom 1-6. I am being ravished!
I will take a picture of the gang in the garage next time we meet and you can send it to Dr. Piper. (BTW, what does he prefer being called?)
hope your trip went well and look forward to keeping in touch.
God bless,
Danny Ovalle

1:50 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

Thanks to you both for giving us this story--the story of both of you, but most of all, the story of God in your lives.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Threez said...

Hi Vicki

I am a writer in Singapore and a child of God. I write a fortnightly column about parents and their special needs children, and yesterday I interviewed a single mom who has a 2 and a half year old daughter with Apert Syndrome.

I was researching tonight and chanced upon your blog. I am crying as i am writing -- so touched by your strength, your mom's amazing steadfastness and most of all that our God is such an awesome God and you are so incredible to be obedient and such a great servant.

You are a light to others around you. Bless you.

I am going to email your link to the mom of that little girl. She is very strong but she is Muslim, and most certainly she could do with the comfort and guidance your mother received from Jesus.

I am also going to link your blog to mine, if you don't mind. I believe your story and your mom's will bless so many people.

God bless you both,
Theresa

http://threezframe.blogspot.com
http://firefromheaven.blogspot.com

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi vicki, i found your blog through theresa's. this testimony of your mother's is amazing - God is truly truly awesome!! you write so well and i love your blog - it's inspirational. God bless you and your mom and keep writing this great blog (:

jen
(from singapore)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Vicki Joy Anderson said...

Thanks to all of you for your comments (not to mention your willingness to read through that entire testimony)! Theresa, so great to "meet" you - I left a comment on your blog. Yes, feel free to link to my blog, I'd be grateful. Please pass my link on to the mother that you interviewed - I will be praying for her and her daughter. Thanks for spreading the Word in Singapore, Theresa and Jen!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the testimony. It has been very encourage and touching at the same time. God's amazing strength and grace is truly infinite.

A verse cropped up to me whilst I was finishing the read. 2 Peter 1:5-7 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.

I'm not sure how it relates. But it definitely affirmed my situation. Thanks. :)

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Testimony and the faith therein is amazing in portraying the Awesomeness of God and the love only a mother can have. Thank God for mothers everywhere and the fathers that support them. Vicki, yr mom's testimony will bless & encourage sooo many others am sure.
God Bless real Good & real Big!!

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home