Saturday, February 19, 2005

Are Disabled People Unhappy?

This article really intrigued me because all of my early surgeries were done at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia in the 1970s.

Former U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop, who worked for years with severely deformed infants as a pediatric surgeon at Philadelphia's Children's Hospital, commented that...
It has been my constant experience that disability and unhappiness do not necessarily go together. He continues: Some of the most unhappy children whom I have known have all of their physical and mental faculties, and on the other hand some of the happiest youngsters have borne burdens which I myself would find very difficult to bear. Our obligation in such circumstances is to find alternatives for the problems our patients face. I don't consider death an acceptable alternative. With our technology and creativity, we are merely at the beginning of what we can do educationally and in the field of leisure activities for such youngsters. And who knows what happiness is for another person?


To read the entire article, click here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home