Thursday, April 13, 2006

Fashion and Following the Savior

The gals over at the Girl Talk blog have just posted the fourth part of their series on "Fashion and Following the Savior." The article articulates a very biblical model of beauty.


Here is an excerpt from Part One:

It’s that time of year again. The fashion magazines are touting the newest and hottest clothing trends for spring and summer. And because fashion is so fickle, a woman is sure to find that what was popular last season, must not see the light of day this season. But more than just the latest style, spring and summer (in particular) usher in a vast array of immodest and indecent clothing. Thus the racks and shelves at the nearest mall are crammed full of body-revealing attire. So, what’s a Christian woman to do?


Here is an excerpt from Part Two:

But before my trip to the mall, something far more important must take place. I must first evaluate my heart. My dad says it this way, “Any biblical discussion of modesty begins by addressing the heart, not the hemline.” So what is this heart we’re supposed to have? 1 Timothy 2:9-10 makes it clear. It says that “Women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control.” These two qualities are to inform the way that I dress. Let’s check out these definitions.


Here is an excerpt from Part Three:

You see, immodest dress is more than simply wearing skimpy clothing. Often, it’s an expression of pride, the opposite of humility. Simply put, immodest clothes are pride on display. In his book Humility: True Greatness, my dad explains that “The proud person seeks to glorify himself and not God, thereby attempting in effect to deprive God of something only He is worthy to receive. In other words, the immodest girl seeks to dress in a way that draws attention to herself and to her body, instead of serving others and bringing glory to the Savior.

Here is an excerpt from Part Four:

So we are not to take this verse to mean that godly women should try as hard as they can to be out of style and unattractive. No! Quite the opposite. God is the creator of beauty. God delights in beauty. All we need to verify this fact is to consider the beauty He created all around us: whether it is an elegant flower, or towering trees, or a meandering river, or billowy clouds or the majestic night sky. Every time we stop to take in one of these breathtaking scenes on display in God’s creation, we can’t help but be convinced that He delights in beauty!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

from Talitha

I was just at the Girl Talk Blog!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

from Talitha

what is this new thing that you put up I have to wait your approvement for my comment.
I do not see my comments alot of the time.

wonderingly,
Talitha

7:45 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

from Talitha

I was just at the Girl Talk Blog.
I would say follow their lead because I think they are good leaders.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

from T

Will you put a new thingabobbin on your website I mean a pew nost, oh sorry,a new post?

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vic,

have you stopped your blogging?

Would love to see you start up agian, is this my fault?

You got no time ha ha?

I'm sure it is,

scotty

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home