Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Kyle Maynard

Last night, Larry King Live featured a 20-year old congenital amputee named Kyle Maynard. I was really encouraged by his testimony, faith, and chutzpah, as they say. He just wrote a book entitled, No Excuses.

Here is a brief review:
Born a congenital amputee -- missing his limbs below the elbows and knees -- 19-year-old college student Kyle Maynard has excelled at nearly everything he has attempted in life: from playing middle school football, to becoming a high school wrestling champion, to breaking world records in weightlifting. Now, in No Excuses: The Inspiring True Story of a Congenital Amputee Who Became a Champion in Wrestling and in Life, he tells how a devoted family, a strong religious faith, and a "No Excuses" attitude toward his handicaps helped him accomplish so much so early in his young life.

It was amazing to see footage of Kyle driving his car, getting dressed, wrestling, playing football, and numerous other things that would be difficult even with all four of your limbs! I hate to use the cliché word "inspiring" but he truly is.

Clcik here to view Kyle's official website.

I am always drawn to people who beat impossible odds and after having done so, their demeanor is one of genuine joy and humility. Kyle is definitely one of those people. He seems to exude so much confidence and kindness. No hint of self-pity over what he has suffered, nor an ounce of pride over what he has since achieved.

I am intrigued that Larry King continues to have people like Kyle and Joni Eareckson Tada and Scott Burrows (Murderball) on his show (among others). It seems thatpeople in wheelchairs who are extremely high-achieving, happy people seems to stymie him. I am glad that they get the airtime though. These are the kinds of stories that need to be told.


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Welcome back! So glad to hear about your trip - I'm sure it'll be a while before you come back down. I saw the Larry King you're talking about too - it gave me such a shot in the butt - what incredible strength he has.

It was also check out the link to the conference. I typed Mclean into Mapquest and it's over 7 1/2 hrs from here so I don't think I can make it - we're in the middle of mandatory overtime at work. But anyway, I just realize I'm supposed to just leave a comment, so I'd better stop my rambling! :-)
Heidi

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home